[Talk-transit] [Talk-gb-westmidlands] NaPTAN data import

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Mar 6 12:59:49 GMT 2009

On 6 Mar 2009, at 10:58, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:

> Brian Prangle wrote:
>> Sent: 06 March 2009 8:27 AM
>> To: Talk-gb-westmidlands at openstreetmap.org; talk-transit at openstreetmap.org
>> Subject: [Talk-gb-westmidlands] NaPTAN data import
>>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> We discussed at our West Mids meeting last night the best way
>> forward. Here
>> is what we would like to see happen:
>>

>> 2. If it's easy to code,  generate ways between related nodes for
>> things
>> like plusbus zones, stopareas etc. We didn't discuss however how to
>> tag
>> these, so I guess just leave them untagged. If it's going to be
>> difficult
>> and slow down the implementation, then ignore it and just import
>> the nodes
>> and we'll have to generate ways manually.

Stop Areas are probably best modelled as relations containing Stop
Points where the relation has a name, a ref and a type and this should
be easy. PlusBus zones are polygons and I would be very happy for
these to wait. I have no idea if there are any in the DB anyway and no
one seems very interested in them (they are about combined bus and
rail fares in parts of the country).

>> 3. Rather than import for the whole West Midlands, just import for
>> Birmingham as a test area - it's easier for us to cover as there
>> fewer bus
>> stops in a smaller area, and it also won't piss off our neighbours in
>> Coventry - most of us are based in Birmingham.

sounds good

>> 5. Can we have a csv file of the data so we can keep track of our
>> verification and record variations, problems on the ground etc. and
>> co-
>> ordinate activities so we don't go off duplicating effort?  In the
>> future
>> other OSMers will have the benefit of Christophe's visual tool to
>> do this.
>> We'll give regular updates here on how we're faring and produce a
>> short
>> report summarising our experience for future imports.

Are you able to download the data you need from the official site, and
if so do you just need a final go-ahead from the Department or have
you had that (in regard to varying the terms of use)? If you can't
download the data yourself then we (ITO World) would be to source  and
we could get it to you when the project has clearance from the Df.
Downloading from the official site if that is possible will be much
quicker and more preferable.

Great stuff! When can you do Suffolk?