[Talk-transit] [Spam] Re: [Talk-gb-westmidlands] NaPTAN data import

Peter J Stoner stonerpj at mytraveline.info
Sat Mar 7 23:42:00 GMT 2009

In message <fe83c610903071430q41b435efi88a0109f7a186607 at mail.gmail.com

          Joe Hughes <joe at headwayblog.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Peter Miller
> <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:
>> Transmodel was created as a general model for public transport that
>> worked for all modes for all purposes and allowed companies and
>> authorities to mix and match products from different countries. The
>> lead country for Transmodel was France and now all tenders in Europe
>> for this sort of stuff will use Transmodel terminology and all CEN
>> standards will also use it. Transmodel is also used as a standard
>> informally in many other countries when specifying systems because it
>> is there and it works.

> Can you point us to a good list of operators that use Transmodel?

In UK, Stagecoach, Arriva, First, National Express are all making some
use of TransXchange which uses the Transmodel terminology.

> It would certainly help all of us if there were a widely-used
> representation, but much to my chagrin I have yet to see a single
> publicly-available data set offered in TransXChange format.

A growing amount of data is going in TXC2 from bus operators to VOSA
(Traffic Commissioners) and local authorities.  Not much is becoming
publicly available in this format but that could change.

> From what
> I've seen in my time at Google, many European operators are still
> representing their data in a mishmash of forms that depends largely on
> which country they're in and who provides their operational software.

Indeed, and it leads to errors. Transmodel is helping the industry to
be more precise.

> Of course, that doesn't make all the thought and debate that's gone
> into Transmodel any less valuable when considering how to represent
> things in OSM.  It's great that folks like you and Roger are lending
> your experience to this discussion.

Few professionals use anything more than the small subset of
Transmodel that relates to the task in hand.  Although the discussion
in this group has gone deep it should help to find the small subset
that is relevant to what OSM wants to do.

I am sure that OSM can help improve the accuracy of public transport
information but only if volunteer involment is maintained.  For that
the concepts and terminology must not get too complicated.... and I
have only just learnt how relations work!

--
Peter J Stoner
UK Regional Coordinator

a trading name of
Intelligent Travel Solutions Ltd  company number 3826797
Drury House, 34-43 Russell Street, LONDON WC2B 5HA