[Talk-transit] Need information about route planners

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Tue Mar 24 11:06:31 GMT 2009

On 23 Mar 2009, at 18:13, Xayide p wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am new in this mailing list. I am developping a research about
> existing route planners. I have recently read about pyRoute,
> PHPRoute, OpenRouteService, YOURS, etc. However, I have some doubts
> that I hope somebody could solve.
>
> - PyRoute could be modified for being a web service? could it offer
> planning routes in public transport?
> - PHPRoute? I have found no information about it.
> - OpenRoute service. Can the code be accessed for developping other
> services?
>
> For all of them:
>
> - Are them opensource? can the code be accessed for developping
> other services?

Some of the programs you mentioned above are. I'm sure there was a
mail to the osm-dev list in the past few days stating the list of them.

> - Can they be used with other maps, such us google maps, yahoo maps,
> custom maps, etc.?

For the best user experience it is best to use the same routing and
tile data, otherwise the users will wonder why they are different.

> - Could any of them be used for planning routes in public transport?
> Does somebody know about existing route planners for public transport?

In the UK the DfT, TFL and National Rail don't provide APIs for their
journey planner publicly.

Shaun