[Talk-transit] Need information about route planners

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Mar 24 11:44:06 GMT 2009

On 24 Mar 2009, at 11:06, Shaun McDonald wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2009, at 18:13, Xayide p wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I am new in this mailing list. I am developping a research about
>> existing route planners. I have recently read about pyRoute,
>> PHPRoute, OpenRouteService, YOURS, etc. However, I have some doubts
>> that I hope somebody could solve.
>>
>> - PyRoute could be modified for being a web service? could it offer
>> planning routes in public transport?
>> - PHPRoute? I have found no information about it.
>> - OpenRoute service. Can the code be accessed for developping other
>> services?
>>
>> For all of them:
>>
>> - Are them opensource? can the code be accessed for developping
>> other services?
>
> Some of the programs you mentioned above are. I'm sure there was a
> mail to the osm-dev list in the past few days stating the list of
> them.

Welcome... The 'routing' list is focused on navigation and there is
lots of discussion about different engines and algorithms going on at
the moment:

>> - Can they be used with other maps, such us google maps, yahoo
>> maps, custom maps, etc.?
>
> For the best user experience it is best to use the same routing and
> tile data, otherwise the users will wonder why they are different.
>
>> - Could any of them be used for planning routes in public
>> transport? Does somebody know about existing route planners for
>> public transport?
>>

> In the UK the DfT, TFL and National Rail don't provide APIs for
> their journey planner publicly.

I believe Graphserver can do public transport routing:-
http://github.com/bmander/graphserver/tree/master

And here is a source for public transport schedules from different
places:
http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/

There is going to be an overlap soon between these two lists which
will be interesting.

Fyi, I am suggesting to various UK transport authorities that they
should consider releasing some schedules to the community so that UK
folk can get on with trying things out in our own patch.

Regards,

Peter Miller
ITO World Ltd