[Talk-transit] [Routing] Need info about route planners

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Mar 25 10:33:53 GMT 2009

On 25 Mar 2009, at 10:08, Xayide p wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Thanks for your answers!! It's been of great worth!
>
> I have a doubt about pgRouting and Traveling Salesman: if they can
> be used for planning routes in public transport, which data format
> do they use? i mean, i know there are some standars as GTFS and
> European Trident. Do any of those planners use standard data format
> or custom data format, or any of them?
>
> About Mumoro, i think it is going to be a great application, it
> seems really good!! I want to encourage you to keep on developping
> that application, because it will be a great new for all people
> interested on route planners. As i said on my first post, i am just
> developping a reasearch about existing different route plannes and
> what i want is to obtaint as much information as possible. The
> questions i made are the most important facts i should give answer
> to in my research. Probably i might include a review of mumoro too!

You may also be interested in talk-transit. We overlap a bit on
routing and it might be good for us to agree where PT route planning
is discussed - personally I think it should be on talk-routing but
others might disagree. For now talk-transit is focusing on fixed
infrastructure such as bus stops and tagging tramways and stuff like
that.

If you are researching routing engines you might be interested in a
research project we are involved in which aims to catalogue all these
innovations and understand what is happening, where, why and what
benefits may come from it and for whom.
http://ideasintransit.wikia.com/wiki/Ideas_in_transit

We haven't done a lot with routing engines yet and it would be great
if someone could create some entries in the wiki. We are less
interested in the techie details as it is primarily focused at
policymakers and to help them understand why they should be paying
attention to all this stuff and be supporting it. Possibly you could
contribute to this as part of your research project, it would
certainly help to share the work of keeping on top of this busy area
of innovation. I envisage that there would be an article on the OSM
wiki for any that projects that relate to OSM which would be techie
heavy in content, and then articles on Ideas in Transit being more
people focused. Here is what we have already relating to navigation -
any many of the article are still just stubs:
http://ideasintransit.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Navigation

We have the ear of government on this one (who fund the project) and
have recently started an 'featured innovation' section for interesting
well presented innovations so it could be worth people's while getting
articles sorted. We are also planning some events where we bring
innovators and policy makers together to learn from innovators what is
happening outside of their normal world. Follow the ideas in transit
blog to stay in touch with the project:
http://ideasintransit.wordpress.com/

Regards,

Peter  Miller