[Talk-transit] Railway tagging relations for routes, track/lanes, loading gauges

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon May 18 12:58:01 BST 2009

A few questions about railways:-

---Relations for railway lines---
Firstly, we are currently working on the UK railway network creating
relations for some of the Uk railway lines, mainly in East Anglia (for
example east coast main line, east suffolk line, Felixstowe Branch
etc). We are also going to tag the official route sections as defined
by National Rail as separate relations later.
http://openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/138742

If anyone wants to do something similar for other parts of the country
then that would be great.

---Number of tracks---
We are proposing to add tracks=2, tracks=4 etc or lanes=2, lanes=4 for
parts of the UK railway network (with a default of tracks/lanes=1).
Currently people in the UK tend to use tracks=xx and in Germany
lanes=xx. At the European level if is about even. Should we agree on
one or the other?

I am aware from previous conversation that there is an alternative to
produce a way for each track but don't feel that this isn't always
appropriate.

We are also doing work on loading gauges in the UK and on the subject
in general. Read about loading gauges generally here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge

We are proposing to start tagging the UK rail network with
- is anyone using another one? Any comments?

Regards,

Peter Miller