[Talk-transit] NaPTAN data import in Birmingham update

Brian Prangle bprangle at googlemail.com
Tue May 26 17:19:22 BST 2009

Having surveyed (and resurveyed) about three hundred bus stops I think I
could draft (soon)  a definitive report on how to proceed.

There's also a few points to emerge about the Birmingham data

1. I'm coming across regular transpositon of stops from opposite sides of
the road ( would be useful to have bearing data)
2. Not having the CUS marker on customary stops makes for hard work
surveying and editing on estates where practically every other stop is CUS
3. Came across two routes (36 and 36C) where whole roads have had their bus
stops physically removed (still showing as NaPTAN data) and the timetables
show the roads as Hail and Ride zones. Couple of things here - I presume
that actual practice has gone beyond the capacity of NapTAN data to keep
pace ( I'll add the details to the NaPTAN error log on the mappamercia wiki
shortly) and how do we import the HAR data - or represent it ( I can't
remember  where our previous discussions got to). In the meantime I'll
probably just tag the roads as HAR=yes and HAR_route_ref= xx.  (Without the
timetable there's nothing visible on the ground to indicate to surveyors
that they are in a HAR zone)

Note for Thomas - I know you're into exam season - none of this is desperate
- there's a few thousand more bus stops to survey and verify yet!