[Talk-transit] NaPTAN case study

Jerry Clough - OSM sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 14:45:38 BST 2009

Unlike Chris I have not been actively surveying lots of bus stops: there is too much other work in Nottingham for this to be a worthwhile activity in the short term. Also the NAPTAN import has exposed areas which were traced from Yahoo: in verifying one stop I had to move a considerable number of ways (something I knew needed doing, but had been putting off). My general impression (probably based on around a 10% sample) is that most Nottingham data is well located: I'd be surprised if real changes is needed for more than 5% of stops. The major error detected so far is on the site of City Hospital where a bus stop is shown in the middle of the Urology building. I suspect that there are a number of other stops which have been relocated in this area as well, but it requires another on-the-ground survey.

However, I have been using the data (as I think I've already posted) for naming and adding roads. Of course some of this may generate some errors, but probably no more than those from transcribing dictaphone surveys (names one road out, or on opposite side of street).

I don't have the precise figures, but I think I've added about 50 roads purely based on lines of bus stops in poorly mapped towns (Bolton, Oldham, Mansfield, Grimsby). Others have used the presence of NaPTAN data to assure continued existence of a road since NPE.

I have used NaPTAN data to name substantial numbers of roads: particularly in Nottingham, Wirral, Oldham and Grimsby areas, but also in smaller towns and villages.

NaPTAN data is also useful for checking boundaries of authorities. For instance the OSM boundary between Notts & Derbys is shown to be inaccurate by NaPTAN in the area of Pleasley : http://osm.org/go/eu9D9Pfu (easy to see because no import for Derbyshire)

Using NaPTAN data in this way gives one quite an insight as to the overall quality , adherence to guidelines etc. My general impression is that the Merseyside & Greater Manchester data is less useful than for other areas (Nottingham, Notts, Lincs, NE Lincs etc): most stops have names in the form of Major Road/Minor Road, the indicator field is often inaccurate or uninformative (patch of waste land in Croxteth for instance) and elsewhere on Merseyside some data appears to have been copied from stop to stop. To a certain extent the overall usefulness of the data for other purposes in OSM depends not just on the quality of the data, but also the degree to which the route network penetrates into estates. Nottingham has quite a number of routes which do this using smaller buses. It is really noticeable that quite large areas of Merseyside are only served by buses running along main roads.

Incidentally the data for the Wirral also includes some taxi ranks.

HTH,

Jerry Clough
SK53 on OSM