[Talk-transit] NaPTAN case study

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Oct 22 15:29:59 BST 2009

On 22 Oct 2009, at 15:12, Shaun McDonald wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2009, at 15:00, Peter Miller wrote:
>

>> Every bus stop has an associated authority in NaPTAN - possibly we
>> should import this as well to help spot errors in the boundaries.
>
> You don't need to import the authority into OSM too.
> The bug reporting system could take an osm node id, then lookup the
> live naptan data for differences etc and these could be included in
> the report, which would go to the authority that has been found in
> the live naptan data. The other advantage of this, is that if the
> naptan bus stop changes hands (for whatever reason) then it'll be
> going to the right group, rather than an out of date group from some
> old OSM data.

To be cleat, to date we have only been given permission to take
occasional updates from NaPTAN with agreement from Traveline - and we
do not have agreement to 'sniff' the live data on a regular basis as I
think you are suggesting. However... I would not be surprised if
Traveline agreed to allow access to the live data in time given the
motivation that is building within the community to get the data right
in both systems.

Even with the above restriction, we will of course be able to parse
the released version of NaPTAN against the OSM versions of the same
data and produce reports for OSM contributors, which could include
details of stops that appear to be out of the appropriate authority,
or where the NaTPAN and the OSM data have diverged and where one or
other of the datasets may be wrong.

Regards,

Peter