[Talk-transit] Monorails

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 03:02:32 BST 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Frankie
Roberto<frankie at frankieroberto.com> wrote:
> Fulfilling a very small niche, I've added a (very short) page for monorails
> (in the UK): http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_monorails

we should build more monorails so we can map more monorails ...

> The page for the tag is here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dmonorail

thank you, that very simple Zoofari Monorail  network is a gentle
introduction to Relations.

> Other than the slightly different form of the track (and the fact that they
> hold a certain place in our retro-sci-fi imagination),

some of us hope it's not just retro ...

>I haven't yet spotted
> any special tagging requirements that are different from standard railways
> (unlike trams).

i guess we don't need to record which style of Switch is used, nor
which of the vertical and horizontal wheels are idler or driven.

> They do seem to be mostly single track though, often in
> loops, making oneway=yes tags all the more important...

I would expect the Maintenance spur on Zoofari to be two-way and the
rest oneway=yes, but no oneway tags seen.

 If railway=monorail were defined to imply oneway=yes, the spur would
be the elusive usecase for oneway=no .
Otherwise, oneway=yes may belong in the hypothetical monorail preset
and Useful combination section of the sidebar on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dmonorail

Most monorails are elevated, as they have infrastructure savings over
other rigid-track elevated forms. So layer=1 should be default in a
monorail preset and Useful combination.
is there a variant of access=public that will indicate that the fare
is inclusive with a larger amenity's admission?

Should nodes that are pylons have an extra tag ?  Since a gradual
curve can be supported from two ends and we don't have splines, there
will be non-pylon nodes in some monorails, so we can't assume each
node is a pylon.

Comparison to a US monorail -- I guess there's another wiki page needed --

The Disney World monorail (which is double track, counter circulating
loop, one express, one local) is layer=2 with stations at layer=3 .
This may be correct, as iirc they use gravitational potential for low
tech regenerative braking. Each rail is also a single way all round,
rather than a relation of station to station ways. One of the switches
may be double-rail, as I have yet to find on OSM or YIMG WMS the
connection from inner loop to outer. Something to look for when
surveying in person next...
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/28696080s
So there is no use of relations, route, or network concepts on this
imported monorail. Is there general agreement that a
The Epcot monorail connects to the WDW double loop above with a
dogbone loop that appears as double-way mach of its run.
The Express and Epcot loops have 2 stations, the Resort loop 6.
None have oneway=yes, but then, TIGER imports never do.
Maintenance spur http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/28696093
would be two way.

--
Bill