[Talk-transit] Monorails

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Fri Sep 4 07:59:01 BST 2009

2009/9/4 Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com>

> > Fulfilling a very small niche, I've added a (very short) page for
> monorails
> > (in the UK): http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_monorails
>
> we should build more monorails so we can map more monorails ...

+1  :-)

> > The page for the tag is here:
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dmonorail
>
> thank you, that very simple Zoofari Monorail  network is a gentle
> introduction to Relations.

Thanks. Having 3 relations for such a simple monorail systems might seem
like overkill, but they should assist in routing, and give an example of how
this might work on a bigger scale.

By the way, the reason that there are two route=train relations, rather than
one, is that the way the train operates is that you can only do one half
loop, and then you have to alight (you can't stay on). So effectively, they
are two separate one-directional, no-stop express routes. If you wanted to
do a whole loop (which seems entirely reasonable to me), you'd have to
"interchange" by getting off, buying a new ticket, and then rejoining the
queue!

> > They do seem to be mostly single track though, often in
> > loops, making oneway=yes tags all the more important...
>
> I would expect the Maintenance spur on Zoofari to be two-way and the
> rest oneway=yes, but no oneway tags seen.

Um, I've forgotten which way round it goes! (Desperately trying to remember,
or at least Google the answer)...

>  If railway=monorail were defined to imply oneway=yes, the spur would
> be the elusive usecase for oneway=no .
> Otherwise, oneway=yes may belong in the hypothetical monorail preset
> and Useful combination section of the sidebar on
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dmonorail

I suspect that we ought to add explicit oneway=yes/no tags rather than
relying on a preset...

> Most monorails are elevated, as they have infrastructure savings over
> other rigid-track elevated forms. So layer=1 should be default in a
> monorail preset and Useful combination.

Good idea.

> is there a variant of access=public that will indicate that the fare
> is inclusive with a larger amenity's admission?

Not sure. There's an additional fee for the Zoofari Monorail though - how
should I tag that?

> Should nodes that are pylons have an extra tag ?  Since a gradual
> curve can be supported from two ends and we don't have splines, there
> will be non-pylon nodes in some monorails, so we can't assume each
> node is a pylon.

Any thoughts on a good tag for the pylons? (which I didn't survey btw!)

> Comparison to a US monorail -- I guess there's another wiki page needed --

Go for it!

> The Disney World monorail (which is double track, counter circulating
> loop, one express, one local) is layer=2 with stations at layer=3 .
> This may be correct, as iirc they use gravitational potential for low
> tech regenerative braking. Each rail is also a single way all round,
> rather than a relation of station to station ways. One of the switches
> may be double-rail, as I have yet to find on OSM or YIMG WMS the
> connection from inner loop to outer. Something to look for when
> surveying in person next...
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/28696080s
> So there is no use of relations, route, or network concepts on this
> imported monorail. Is there general agreement that a
> The Epcot monorail connects to the WDW double loop above with a
> dogbone loop that appears as double-way mach of its run.
> The Express and Epcot loops have 2 stations, the Resort loop 6.
> None have oneway=yes, but then, TIGER imports never do.
> Maintenance spur http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/28696093
> would be two way.

Nice summary. We'll have to investigate some more, and then maybe trying to
add the relations required.

I'll have a quick look at the Alton Towers monorail (which I'm at least
familiar with), as well as the Chessington World of Adventures one (which is
more of a ride, as there's only one station, and takes you round in a big
circle).

Any other big monorail systems we can map? :-)

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle