[Talk-transit] Public Transport routing

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Fri Sep 4 11:24:30 BST 2009

Hi all,

I just added a new introduction to the Public Transport page (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport), trying to give an
overview of what public transport is and why it should be added to OSM.

Whilst doing this, I had a quick play with Google's Public Transit map
service, to see how that's getting on. For the UK, it seems pretty useless!
Just about any journey I put in (London-Edinburgh, Manchester-Sheffield),
the only option I got back was a National Express coach - seems they're the
only data service they've imported so far.

This got me thinking - whilst OSM is a long way from being able to add
timetable information, basic routing (giving you the names of train
services, and working out where you need to change), is something OSM could
feasibly provide.

Is anyone currently looking at this? I know of
http://www.öpnvkarte.de/<http://www.%C3%B6pnvkarte.de/>,
which displays public transport routes, but I don't know of any experimental
routing services yet. Have I missed something? (Peter, ITO World?)

Incidentally, I just came across this page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Train_routing which seems to mostly date
from 2007, but has some useful information (and diagrams) in it, that could
be worth merging into the Railways page (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Railways).

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto