[Talk-transit] Public Transport routing

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Sep 4 13:36:31 BST 2009

On 4 Sep 2009, at 11:24, Frankie Roberto wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just added a new introduction to the Public Transport page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport
> ), trying to give an overview of what public transport is and why it
> should be added to OSM.

Looks good. But lets also link to graphserver.

> Whilst doing this, I had a quick play with Google's Public Transit
> map service, to see how that's getting on. For the UK, it seems
> pretty useless! Just about any journey I put in (London-Edinburgh,
> Manchester-Sheffield), the only option I got back was a National
> Express coach - seems they're the only data service they've imported
> so far.

Full data is available with GT for the South East Traveline region
which covers Bedford, Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove,
Buckinghamshire, Central Bedfordshire, East Sussex, Essex,
Hertfordshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Luton, Medway, Milton Keynes,
Oxfordshire, Reading, Slough, Southend-on-Sea, Surrey, Thurrock, West
Berkshire, West Sussex,  Windsor and Maidenhead and Wokingham

With this data came the national coaches database which gives some
service information elsewhere in the country. I understand that more
regions may provide their data to GT over time.

> This got me thinking - whilst OSM is a long way from being able to
> add timetable information, basic routing (giving you the names of
> train services, and working out where you need to change), is
> something OSM could feasibly provide.

Sure, using route relations, however we do need a timetable service
available to complete the data. The route relations approach will
actually be pretty unreliable in make situations for traditional
planning purposes but lets see what it can do.

> Is anyone currently looking at this? I know of http://www.öpnvkarte.de/
> , which displays public transport routes, but I don't know of any
> experimental routing services yet. Have I missed something? (Peter,
> ITO World?)

No, we are not, but I am promoting opnvkarte locally and would be very
supportive of such work where we could.