[Talk-transit] Monorails

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Fri Sep 4 18:10:41 BST 2009

2009/9/4 Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com>

> > Um, I've forgotten which way round it goes! (Desperately trying to
> remember,
> > or at least Google the answer)...
>
> the angle of mantenance spur tells ... do they back onto or off of the
> main-line ?

Um....?

Updated: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dmonorail

> >> is inclusive with a larger amenity's admission?
> >
> > Not sure. There's an additional fee for the Zoofari Monorail though - how
> > should I tag that?
>
> i don't know. assumption is footpath access is public unless tagged,
> but inside the zoo's area is obviously not; bus and trains routes are
> assumed to have a fare.

Yeah, I did wonder whether the paths within the zoo should be tagged as
footpaths or permissive paths or private paths...

> i am really frosted by the anti-monorail spiel on website of a fanatic
> for Montreal's Micheline Pneumo 'train' that is part light rail part
> tram and rather like an inside-out monorail, yet he 'proves' monorails
> are less efficient ... even though they have three kinds of wheels
> more than two, without ever considering cost of elevating one rail vs
> two or four or the cost of tunnelling. Micheline may be superior for
> an all tunnel system, but monorail pylons could be planted in the
> median barrier of a motorway.

My brother is trying to convince me of the merits of Personal Rapid
Transport (which I notice that Peter has spotted a tag for:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3DPRT), however I'm currently
liking trams... :-)

Have just added relations for the Alton Towers Monorail (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_monorails) btw. I had to
do a bit of track-doubling, adding stations, and again, I'm not sure whether
it goes clockwise or anti-clockwise. Can't remember either whether there's
another station in the middle either.

Only 4 more to go now... :-)

--
Frankie Roberto