[Talk-transit] Public Transport routing

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Fri Sep 4 22:00:37 BST 2009

Hi all,

I agree that it'd be better to have the actual timetables. However, given
that Google can't route me from London to Edinburgh via train at all, being
able to tell people that there IS a train (and giving the name of the
operator) would be an improvement, and something OSM could feasibly do.

Given that there are quite a few OSM routing efforts (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routing/OnlineRouters), perhaps we should
be talking to those people to see if we can't get public transport options
(bus, subway, tram, train) included.

Of course, we need to improve the data too. And agreeing on a frequency tag
would help...

Frankie

2009/9/4 Péter Connell <p8r at connell.plus.com>

> To not use timetables would case various aberrant behaviours like
> routing Yorkshire-Scotland traffic via Settle (side-note: does NRES
> still need to be forced to route this way?)
>
> Speed differentials are such that you'd need scheduling information for
> any meaningful set up, e.g. here http://osm.org/go/evjiG2F_- where the
> fastest buses run along the bypass
>
> I think this is something that road routing software has struggled with
> a while so there may be some helpful potential approaches from there.
> Though getting the timetables, however difficult, might still be easier!

Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle
0114 2706977
http://www.rattlecentral.com