[Talk-transit] Monorails

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Sep 6 21:23:17 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 22:02 -0400, Bill Ricker wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Frankie
> Roberto<frankie at frankieroberto.com> wrote:
> > Fulfilling a very small niche, I've added a (very short) page for monorails
> > (in the UK): http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_monorails
>
> we should build more monorails so we can map more monorails ...

We are, in the US.  The Las Vegas Express is a MAGLEV monorail that
Amtrak's building between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.  Which begs the
question:  Who, of sound mind and greater than room temperature IQ,
would /ever/ /want/ to go to Los Angeles in the first place, much less
as quickly as possible?  There's also the Seattle Monorail, which was
poorly designed and shoddily built quickly for the World's Fair, with
track curves close enough together that two trains will collide head on
if they round the same curve on parallel tracks, though they've been
talking about fixing that problem and expanding the system.