[Talk-transit] One last question (for now)

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Sep 7 10:17:41 BST 2009

On 7 Sep 2009, at 09:46, Ed Loach wrote:

> Is it worth questioning the stop names? The ones named "B&Q" in
> Clacton for example are outside their old site (now "The Range"), as
> B&Q moved to new premises about 5 years ago. I've not yet been to
> the B&Q stops to see if they have the name on (some stops around
> here do, some don't - and these are two I've not yet checked).

One of the motivations for adding NaPTAN data to OSM was to get a new
feedback path for differences. There are of course licensing
restrictions about using data from OSM to improve a (c) Crown dataset,
but the list of places where there is a difference of opinion is of
considerable use.

Also, OSM aims to be better that official data so we need to make such
that is the case and that we can lead with data accuracy, and not just
wait for the official data to be correct which might take some time
(in my county I have issues I reported 3 months ago that are still not
resolved).

As such I think we need to agree on how we deal with discrepences.

How about the following:

Situation: One finds at stop in reality that does not exist in NaPTAN.
Response: Add it to OSM with highway=bus_stop, shelter=yes/no etc,
note='not in NaPTAN 7 Sept 2009'

Situation: NaPTAN says it is a marked bus stops but there is no sign
of a pole
Response: removed highway=bus_stop tag and add a note, for example
note=no sigh of this one on the ground'

Situation: NaPTAN says it is customary, but actually it is marked
Response: Should we have a tag stop_type which can reflect the NaPTAN
types, ie customary, marked, hail and ride etc? For now I have been
changing the naptan tag

Situation: The bearing doesn't match the road and the description
Response: For now I have been changing the bearing in NaPTAN field,
but I think we need a proper bearing field. Possibly we should add a
bearing field and populate it if the is different

Situation: The name of the flag is not the name in NaPTAN
Response: at it as alt_name

more?....

We can then run a script from time to time to compare the current
state of the two datasets and create reports for either party of the
discrepancies.

Regards,

Peter Miller