[Talk-transit] Mapping Tram Lines

Jerry Clough - OSM sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 15:22:24 BST 2009

I've just been updating a few street-names along the route of the Nottingham Tram, and I encountered an issue with this way http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/19066107. This section of the tram is oneway, southbound; the northbound line running a couple of hundred metres to the east. However, the tram and the road are tagged on the same way. I don't actually know what the traffic restrictions are on the road, but clearly it is not impossible for a road to be 2-way and the tram only running oneway, and vice versa. I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how to resolve this type of issue. The options I can think of at the moment are:

* Namespaced oneway tags. Almost certainly to be ignored by any existing tools.
* Two distinct ways sharing nodes, one for the roadway, the other for the tramline.
* Rely on roles in the relation.

In the meantime I'll try and see if I can think of some other similar cases.

Jerry