[Talk-transit] Public Transport routing

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Mon Sep 7 17:13:49 BST 2009

2009/9/7 Peter J Stoner <stonerpj at mytraveline.info>

> I usually turn on the GPS when one a new bus route and have added
> several routes in the UK on this basis.  Sometimes it is a bit
> difficult to be sure exactly which way the bus goes and getting this
> very accurate in OSM is one of the advantages that OSM may be able to
> offer.

I've just added
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_railways#Railway_servicesas
a place to list train services that have been mapped.

I've mapped the local stopping Hope Valley service operated by Northern -
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/232991 - (good for getting
access to the Peak District).

Some quick notes:

* There are numerous tracks into Manchester Piccadilly mapped (not sure if
they correspond to the number of tracks exactly or not). I can't remember
which platform the train normally comes in at (and it probably varies
anyway), so have picked one at random.
* Chinley station is mapped as two ways (double track) with an island
platform. So I've added both ways (with role=forward) and both station nodes
(as role=stop). This makes the relation look as if Chinley is included twice
(not ideal for routing). I've added both notes to another relation
representing the station (or Stop Area, as it's called in Peter's schema) -
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/233020 - so maybe a routing
algorithm would be able to figure it out from that?
* Not sure whether to include the Strines station - only about half the
trains seem to stop there.
* Sheffield station is mapped as numerous tracks, with stopping point nodes
tagged as railway=halt (this might be outdated - was based on the
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/unified_stopareaproposal).
This in turn is part of a Sheffield station relation (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/79249).

Phew!

Frankie

--