[Talk-transit] Mapping Tram Lines

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Mon Sep 7 17:24:34 BST 2009

2009/9/7 Jerry Clough - OSM <sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk>

> I've just been updating a few street-names along the route of the
> Nottingham Tram

Incidentally, the Nottingham Tram (sorry, 'Express Transit') relation -
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/170076 - highlights an
interesting issue.

As it stands, the relation makes it look like there's one service - 'Line 1'
- which stops at both Hucknall and Phoenix Park. This kind of makes some
sense, in that they're both labelled 'Line 1', but in another sense there
are two types of tram service, Station Street to Hucknall (and back) and
Station Street to Phoenix Park (and back). From a routing perspective, we'd
probably want to have a separate relation for each service (I'm guessing).

The one-way loop can probably be handled just using the forward/backward
roles on the ways, so I don't think we'd need 4 relations (both destinations
in both directions).

I've also been adding the station nodes as role=stop (not sure whether this
is 100% necessary, but it can't do any harm).

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle