[Talk-transit] Mapping Tram Lines

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 00:16:07 BST 2009

I hope to look into tagging and relationing the tube in more detail
after Tuesday, to try and get some more consistancy into it.

I'll probably also review the tramlink stuff, being a local. I've
wanted to double track it in OSM for a long time to try and be able to
be obsessive about marking the crossovers.

2009/9/7 Frankie Roberto <frankie at frankieroberto.com>:
> 2009/9/7 Jerry Clough - OSM <sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk>
>
>> You're absolutely right. The Phoenix Park & Hucknall services are distinct
>> just sharing the running ways, but co-branded as NET-1. I think some
>> Hucknall line services terminate at Bulwell in the evenings, but that's it
>> in terms of complexity.
>
> This same issue applies to most of the London Underground tube lines as well
> - for instance the Central line has a few different branches, but there's
> only one relation for the whole thing at the moment (see list at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/London_Underground_lines)
>
> Incidentally, I'm not sure whether, in the case of the London Underground
> and NET1, it's worth also having a relation for the whole 'network'.  This
> is something I've started to do for some tram networks (eg see the Croydon
> Tramlink at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_trams) but I'm
> not sure whether it's necessary or not (given that we could just have a
> network=* tag on the separate relations).
>
> That said, it is kinda useful to be able to link to one relation for the
> whole of the Central line, rather than having to programmatically merge two
> together.
>
> I don't know how this sits with
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Relations_are_not_Categories
>
>> I added a couple of stops to the relation on the one-way sections, but
>> obviously used the wrong role (forward).
>
> Yep, 'forward' doesn't make much sense as a role on a node! :-)
>

>> Originally I just created the relation to get it into OPNV-Karte, but
>> obviously these things can (and should) be refined. I don't know how this
>> will change once NET-2 & NET-3 come into the picture, but we have plenty of
>> time to refine how to model these things.
>
> Yes, time is on our side. There's going to be a load of work to do to
> incorporate the expanded tram network in Manchester too. But I'm looking
> forward to it... :-)
>
> Frankie
>
> --
> Frankie Roberto