[Talk-transit] One last question (for now)

Jerry Clough - OSM sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 18:09:29 BST 2009

Don't be too hasty (although 5 years seems long enough): there are two stops on Castle Boulevard, Nottingham named MFI, which must be 2 years 'out-of-date'. Many locals will remember the presence of MFI long after the chain closed and the site is used for something else. There is a location on Nottingham ring-road known as The Futurist, after a cinema which closed in the '60s.

This is very similar to bus stops (or even locations) named after pubs. I'm sure the A40 still has a Target roundabout on the road between Yeading and Greenford, although I remember the pub becoming a Macdonalds in the 1980s! There are quite a few bus stops in Nottingham which have pub names which seem to be changing to a non pub-based name. So "The Crown at Beeston" has become "Police Station", two or three stops along "The Hop-Pole" has become something completely unmemorable (a street name). The two operators of routes along this road use different names, and not all the bus signs have been updated. I don't know if this is a policy based on the current ephemeral nature of pubs (today I mapped lots of boarded up ones, and even the ones which appeared to be open, often have "lease this ..." signs outside), or perhaps influenced by multi-cultural considerations. Unfortunately they also seem to have changed my favorite in-bus announcment : "Halls of
 Residences".

All in all, this shows that multiple names need to be supported, for all sorts of reasons. We're not yet at a point where we can collect and support local names on a large scale: but, it would be interesting to do so, and bus stops represent a decent sub-set of localities. Perhaps we should ask the EPNS!