[Talk-transit] One last question (for now)

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Sep 8 18:23:53 BST 2009

On 8 Sep 2009, at 16:17, Péter Connell wrote:

> Problem is determining commonnames without reference to passengers -
> so
> you end up with Bridge Lane opp Health Centre (n bound) when 'B&Q'
> would
> be better.

B&Q (opp) would be a nice short name as long as there was not more
than one B&Q.

> Don't think there is much common at all about naming streets after
> side
> streets - few people (mappers and posties excluded unfortunately) will
> know the name of many/any streets that they don't reside. Ditto
> names of
> houses in rural areas. Or numbers - worse.

We currently potentially have three names for bus stops in OSM:-

1) The name in NaPTAN which will be used in journey planners, within
call-centres and increasingly on timetables
2) The name on the flag (if there is one)
3) A 'better' name in the opinion o the mapper who surveyed it or of
some person that they asked.

It has not traditionally been the role of OSM mappers to change names
where they think they are wrong but to believe the evidence and I
don't see why we are proposing the change that now.

Traveline may be interested in using OSM as a source of better names,
such as Snooker club (opp) if there is a Snooker club as an amenity on
the map, however for OSM introduce a new name for the stop which is
neither printed on the flag nor used on timetables could be very
unhelpful unless it is clearly as an "alt-name-suggested" which can
then potentially be taken up by the authorities or not but won't
appear on the map.

I suggest that the NaPTAN database will increasingly become the source
of the definitive name which will filter out to all other information
systems and also onto the bus stop flags. It will however be sensible
in many cases to review the stop names before that point.

Personally I will leave the 'name' as the NaPTAN 'common name' +
( 'indicator' ) as per the import and will add the name on the flag as
an alt-name. If I think they are both silly I will propose a better
one in a field with a name to be agreed.