[Talk-transit] Should railway station relations include busstops?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Sep 10 08:10:43 BST 2009

On 10 Sep 2009, at 00:45, Thomas Wood wrote:

> NaPTAN provides relations for stations (or at least it should, I've
> yet to check), in most cases, this will contain the station node, and
> entrance nodes, and child relations eg, the stops outside of it.
> I've yet to import them, but I do have all the backreferences stored
> to do so.

NaPTAN allows for a hierarchy of stop areas.

In NaPTAN there should be a Stop Area for all the features directly
associated with the railway station.

There can then be other (un-related) stop areas associated with groups
of bus stops around the station

I believe that an additional Stop Area can then be used to bind all of
the above into one. The rendered can then choose to do one blob for
all the public transport features around the station, or one for
station itself and to identify every feature individually.

Stop Areas are not well used across the UK, some areas use them, some
don't and where they are used the data can be a little suspect.
Possibly we could aim to do a better job over time?