[Talk-transit] Should railway station relations include busstops?

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Thu Sep 10 09:01:37 BST 2009

2009/9/10 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>

> On 10 Sep 2009, at 00:45, Thomas Wood wrote:
>
> > NaPTAN provides relations for stations (or at least it should, I've
> > yet to check), in most cases, this will contain the station node, and
> > entrance nodes, and child relations eg, the stops outside of it.
> > I've yet to import them, but I do have all the backreferences stored
> > to do so.
>
> NaPTAN allows for a hierarchy of stop areas.
>
> In NaPTAN there should be a Stop Area for all the features directly
> associated with the railway station.
>
> There can then be other (un-related) stop areas associated with groups
> of bus stops around the station
>
> I believe that an additional Stop Area can then be used to bind all of
> the above into one. The rendered can then choose to do one blob for
> all the public transport features around the station, or one for
> station itself and to identify every feature individually.
>
> Stop Areas are not well used across the UK, some areas use them, some
> don't and where they are used the data can be a little suspect.
> Possibly we could aim to do a better job over time?

So, in the case of a large train station that's surrounded by bus stops, we
should aim for one relation that contains all the train station elements
(platforms, walkways, stopping points, etc), one relation that contains all
the bus stops, and then have both of those relations belong to a parent
relation...?

These seems a little over-complicated to me - are there any benefits to
doing it this way, rather than having a single relation in OSM?

Also, what happens in the case that there are multiple modes (tram, metro)
within a train station - does each of these get its own relation, or is it
more the case that we should simply separate features within a station
building, and features outside of the building on the road network (bus
stops, maybe tram stops) that are simply used to connect to the station?

Frankie

P.S Waterloo station seems to have 3 relations:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_train_stations

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle