[Talk-transit] [OSM-talk] Train station names: "Place Station" ou just "Place" ?

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Thu Sep 17 16:42:46 BST 2009

2009/9/17 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Frankie Roberto
> <frankie at frankieroberto.com> wrote:
> > I've been doing some work on the representation of railway stations in
> OSM
> > (along with others on the talk-transit mailing list).
>
> Thank you for your long reply. I didn't subscribe to this particular
> list. I think this is something interresting everyone and not only the
> experts.

Oh good. The list isn't just for experts though (whilst there are a few on
there, I'm certainly not one of them) - anyone interested in mapping public
transport infrastructure is welcome to join.

> What I would like to see is a clear statement on the railway station
> wiki page like "the name on the main public entrance" or "the official
> name" or "the name on the platform", "with or without "Station""... At
> least, something that everybody could follow, which makes consistent
> maps and data.

"Consistent maps"? on OSM? Never! The inconsistency is surely what we all
love about OSM?! :-)

Good suggestion though. I don't think you can ever have a definitive notion
of what the name=* should be (witness all the problems with streets that
have multiple names), but as guidance, I think something like "Use the
official name, as published on up-to-date timetables, the most recent
(rather than historical) station signs, or on the website of the station
operator" might be helpful.

Incidentally, if you're looking for UK railway stations to map, see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_railway_stations :-)

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto