[Talk-transit] Relations for stop areas in NaPTAN

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Mon Sep 28 16:10:59 BST 2009

2009/9/28 Thomas Wood <grand.edgemaster at gmail.com>

> I think the type=* tag on relations is ugly, similar to the original
> class=* tag proposed on every element in the early days of OSM.
>
> class=* was dropped, as should type=* be.

I don't know too much about class=, but I can see an argument that type=
might be redundant on relations. However, given that it is in such
widespread use, I guess this is a bigger debate to have.

Right now, I'm more concerned about which of these patterns is better:

type=site
site=railway_station

or

type=site
railway=station

The first one has the advantage of following the X=Y, Y=Z tag hierarchy
convention, the second has the advantage of re-using tags that have long
been adopted for nodes.

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto