[Talk-transit] Relations for stop areas in NaPTAN

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Sep 28 16:49:22 BST 2009

On 28 Sep 2009, at 16:13, Claudius Henrichs wrote:

> Am 28.09.2009 15:05, Peter Miller:
>>

>> On 28 Sep 2009, at 13:44, Jerry Clough - OSM wrote:
>>
>>> I've just noticed that the relations for stop places generated in
>>> the NaPTAN import do not have a type. I just happened to be
>>> browsing through some KeepRight issues and noticed a number of
>>> relation without type ones.
>>>
>>> I'm sure its unimportant right now, but I wondered how the stop
>>> place/stop area/interchange ideas are firming up, and what I
>>> should do eventually with the NaPTAN data.
>>
>> I noticed yesterday that the public transport article[1]  is still
>> linking to 'User:Oxomoa/Public transport schema' article for
>> tagging information even though this is a personal page and
>> therefore not something that others should touch.
>>
>> For starters should we agree not to link to personal pages for
>> tagging information?
>>
>> I have developed a Stop Area article[2] based on Oxomoa's proposal
>> and which also included feedback from CEN. It is currently
>> available as a 'proposed feature'. however it should in general
>> echo current practice. Would it be appropriate to now move it into
>> the main name-space and use it as the primary overview article for
>> stations, bus stops etc?
>>
>> If so should we just do it or do a formal vote first. Given that it
>> is actually now a summary of current practice I would recommend
>> moving it without voting but would be happy to follow the majority
>> view. Thoughts please!
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_Transport
>> [2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Stop_Area
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>
> As a late-joiner to this list I definitely vote for moving Oxomoa's
> proposal to the "public" wiki space.
>
> Could anyone give a quick comment on what the consensus of the list
> member's on using his proposal is? I've been using it extensively
> and find it to be well though through and suitable for almost every
> possible public transport layout and on the same time offering the
> best possibility to have as much information covered in OSM as
> possible.

Oxomoa's proposal is very wide-ranging and I disagree with some
aspects of it, but it was impossible to develop the proposal within
his user page so I forked the content, reduced the scope to just Stop
Areas and developed his ideas further accommodating input from other
parties.  has had input from a number of people. I would find it
helpful if you would indicate which aspects of the Stop Area proposal
you disagree and I would suggest that you propose changes to that
article not to Oxomoa's.

With specific reference to Stop Area Groups this allow for only one
level of Stop Area hierarchy, whereas the equivalent CEN standard
allows for recursion which I believe will be needed in some
suitations. My Stop Area proposal allows for Stop Areas to contain
Stop Areas.