[Talk-transit] New versions of NaPTAN now publicly available under free license?

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Thu Apr 1 20:55:09 BST 2010

On 22/03/2010 12:43, Thomas Wood wrote:
> Oh, and with regards to our licencing terms:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-transit/2009-March/000163.html

Thanks Thomas, Roger;

My confusion was that I thought OSM merely had rights to use NaPTAN data
under the terms of CC-BY-SA (or at least the OSM wiki seemed to suggest
so, but it's possibly outdated).  Strictly speaking, I think that would
require OSM to give attribution ot the rights holder, eg. on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors

I think the same would apply if NaPTAN data was taken from data.gov.uk;
 the recently-rewritten data.gov.uk terms (
http://data.gov.uk/terms-and-conditions ) require attribution as well.

But I was making a very strict interpretation;  I'm sure the intention
was for OSM to be able to use NaPTAN data freely.  Maybe the text of the
March 12th email provides sufficient legal permission to do so (whether
downloaded from the NaPTAN site or through data.gov.uk).

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven at pyro.eu.org