[Talk-transit] How to map named bus stop platform/positions

Magnus Bäck baeck at swipnet.se
Tue Aug 31 19:17:00 BST 2010

In the Skånetrafiken public transport network in southmost Sweden, bus
stops are identified not only by name but also by a capital letter that
identifies this particular platform (or stop position, if you will). In
most cases you have an "A" platform for one direction and a "B" platform
across the street for buses heading the other direction. Example below.

http://openbusmap.org/?zoom=18&lat=56.01628&lon=12.72438&layers=BT

How should this be entered into OSM? I think the information is useful
since bigger bus stations may have tens of platforms, but I don't feel
any of the existing tags really cover this case. For now I've included
it in the name ("Helsingborg Biblioteket (B)" etc, see above), but this
is hardly ideal. I suppose the ref attribute wouldn't be completely off,
but it seems more geared towards network-internal reference numbers that
are unknown to and useless for the travellers. The platform identifiers
should be displayed on maps but perhaps not as prominently as the stop
names.

--
Magnus Bäck
baeck at swipnet.se