[Talk-transit] Again about time tables, and some interesting sites

Andrei Klochko transportsplan3 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 14:26:18 GMT 2010

Hello,
Yes, in France it's even worse: "the database producer may forbid any
quantitatively or quantitatively substantial extraction from his database,
by all means and in any form"
BUT you have this counterpart: "when a database is made available to the
public by the holder of the rights, then he cannot forbid [among other
things] the extraction AND reuse of a quantitatively or qualitatively non
substantial part of the database, by the person who has licit access to it".
I only put this line here, to ask the question: what, if many different
people, decide to all take one timetable, and then reuse it as they want,
like for example, by publishing it in a centralized site? this could bypass
the problem, as these people are not part of a single company, they have no
bound with each other, they just chose to do what they are entitled to do,
i.e. reusing these timetables, in a unique web place...
But that's not all:
"The producer of a database, as intended by the person who takes the
initiative and the risk of the corresponding investments, benefits of a
protection of the content of his database, whenever the constitution, the
verification, or the presentation of this database clearly shows a
substantial human, financial or material investment". Which brings the
question: if every small transport company IS the real producer of their
timetables, then the gathering of these 10 timetables may not be big enough,
in other words won't have needed enough investment, for it to be protected
by the database right.
These are two ways I explore at the moment. There are others, and most of
all the fact, that companies did not even imagine to impose any restriction
over such reuse, "one by one". Here the data is made publicly
available...and if the transporters are the ultimate producers of the data,
then taking it from every transporter is only copying THEIR "database",
which is not big enough to make a database. You see? here, if a regional
authority has made a database on its side, I am only recreating it, and this
is what one of this regional authorities told me once! This is why I believe
this... I know this would make an exception of France, but who knows...
Have a good day
Andrei
PS: we are monday, and at last, my phone will be able to get busy calling
more lawyers, and more people from the transit agencies!