[Talk-transit] Proposed Feature - RFC - Public Transport

Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) teddy at teddy.ch
Fri Dec 10 15:31:50 GMT 2010

Think of a terminal bus station somewhere in the center of a city. Four
bus lines end here. One platform of 50m. The four lines stop always at
the same position (line 1 is first,..., line 4 is last). Only one pole
for all buses. Where do you place your tags? Or how do you tell where to
wait for bus number 4? At the pole that is 40m away from the stop position?

It is up to you to use a new schema, or not if you dislike.

I usually do not map already mapped routes/stations again, so I do not
have to drop an original node. But when I map a new station I map stop
position AND platform.

On 10.12.2010 14:51, Richard Mann wrote:
> Dominik/Teddy
>
> Please could you explain what situation do highway=bus_stop /
> highway=platform / railway=platform not cover already, that requires
> public_transport=platform to be added to the list? If you're not
> intending to deprecate, then you're just adding complexity.

highway=platform is for buses/nonrail
railway=platform is for train/tam/rail
What should be used if there are buses and trams at the same station?

I do not plan to replace existing tags with
highway/railway=public_transport, but I will tag unmapped platforms with
public_transport=platform. If so this can be done with a bot.

highway=bus_stop is used different. Sometimes as stop position, more
often as platform/pole. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:highway%3Dbus_stop#Results_2010-10-27
The meaning of how highway=bus_stop should be used differ. It can not be
replaced easily with a new public_transport tag.