[Talk-transit] Proposed Feature - RFC - Public Transport

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 19:55:34 GMT 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) <teddy at teddy.ch> wrote:
> Think of a terminal bus station somewhere in the center of a city. Four bus
> lines end here. One platform of 50m. The four lines stop always at the same
> position (line 1 is first,..., line 4 is last). Only one pole for all buses.
> Where do you place your tags? Or how do you tell where to wait for bus
> number 4? At the pole that is 40m away from the stop position?

That'd be four bus stops in the NaPTAN system, the three "invisible"
ones being what they call customary stops (these are far more common
in rural areas). I wouldn't recommend the passengers go to the
stopping position (not unless I wanted them to be run over).

> highway=platform is for buses/nonrail
> railway=platform is for train/tam/rail
> What should be used if there are buses and trams at the same station?

Whichever feels right. I'd probably use highway=platform if you can
walk across the tracks at the platform, railway=platform if you can't.
Does it matter?

> highway=bus_stop is used different. Sometimes as stop position, more often
> as platform/pole. See
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:highway%3Dbus_stop#Results_2010-10-27
> The meaning of how highway=bus_stop should be used differ. It can not be
> replaced easily with a new public_transport tag.

I would agree that on-highway highway=bus_stop should be phased out
(is anyone saying they should be retained?). I think they're a
hangover from the time before we realised that tagging the pole was a
better approach. In the mean time, I don't think it causes any major
problem (it just isn't as clear as tagging the pole).

Richard