[Talk-transit] Proposed Feature - RFC - Public Transport

Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) teddy at teddy.ch
Fri Dec 10 21:12:20 GMT 2010

On 12/10/2010 08:55 PM, Richard Mann wrote:

> I would agree that on-highway highway=bus_stop should be phased out
> (is anyone saying they should be retained?). I think they're a
> hangover from the time before we realised that tagging the pole was a
> better approach. In the mean time, I don't think it causes any major
> problem (it just isn't as clear as tagging the pole).

Many city and/or network public transport wiki pages in central europe
recommend to use highway=bus_stop _on_ the way (in coexistence with
Oxomoa and unified stoparea and public transport proposal). So
highway=bus_stop on the way does not get phased out.

Even on the wiki page highway=bus_stop is not clearly defined as
_beside_ the way.

highway=bus_stop is a fuzzy tag. I do not like this war around this tag.
Especially see the German talk page. I would like to approve a tagging
schema that is clearly defined. Doing this with new tags is portably the
easiest way. Redefining highway=bus_stop on or beside the way seams to
be nearly impossible. Again: Have a look at the German talk page.

Why is highway=bus_stop recommended to use _on_ the way? Because it does
not make sense to have two tags _beside_ the way (highway=bus_stop and
highway=platform). The platform definitely is beside the way (It is an
approved feature and I never heard other voices). highway=bus_stop _on_
the way would be in consistence with railway=tram_stop. And it would be
a stop position. And it would fit unified stoparea.

My understanding for those they have put hundreds of tags on/beside the
way. They do not want to move them (in which direction ever).

Regards
Teddych