[Talk-transit] Proposed Feature - RFC - Public Transport

Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) teddy at teddy.ch
Sat Dec 11 06:30:16 GMT 2010

On 12/11/2010 12:39 AM, Richard Mann wrote:

> The English-language discussion appears to have long reached a
> consensus (except for you).

The decision to place highway=bus_stop beside the road has been made
before highway=platform existed. Without highway=platform I also would
vote for beside the way.

Then highway=platform has bin introduced. Beside the way. Since two and
a have year we have two tags for a bus stop beside the way. At the same
position. This definitely does not make sense. Or does it for you?

The decision to place highway=bus_stop was based on the fact that one
should be able to see on maps in which direction a bus runs. The need
for highway=bus_stop beside the way has been replaced with the approved
feature highway=platform.

Could you give me an argument why highway=bus_stop should be beside the way?

To place highway=bus_stop beside the way is inconsistent and incomplete.

> If some people wish to use highway=bus_stop on the road, with
> highway=platform alongside, that can perfectly well be deciphered by
> software, and clearly documented as an alternative approach,

This is the point where we are in the wiki now. And this is very close
to unified stoparea.

> It does not need a
> public_transport key to confuse matters further.

If we define highway=bus_stop *on* the way, we do not need another tag,
you are right.

Regards
Teddych