[Talk-transit] Proposed Feature - RFC - Public Transport

Michał Borsuk michal.borsuk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 08:26:58 GMT 2010

On 10 December 2010 22:12, Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) <teddy at teddy.ch> wrote:

> On 12/10/2010 08:55 PM, Richard Mann wrote:
>
>  I would agree that on-highway highway=bus_stop should be phased out
>> (is anyone saying they should be retained?). I think they're a
>> hangover from the time before we realised that tagging the pole was a
>> better approach. In the mean time, I don't think it causes any major
>> problem (it just isn't as clear as tagging the pole).
>>

> Many city and/or network public transport wiki pages in central europe
> recommend to use highway=bus_stop _on_ the way

And they are wrong. Because according to OSM's principles, the object should
be placed where it physically exists.

> Even on the wiki page highway=bus_stop is not clearly defined as _beside_
> the way.

Then we have to do it.

> highway=bus_stop is a fuzzy tag.

I see it very clearly.

I would like to approve a tagging schema that is clearly defined.

..but which is not against the principles of OSM.

> Doing this with new tags is portably the easiest way.

Not sure about that. Backwards compatibility is very important. Approving a
bunch of tags from people who created such a system as oxomoa is not my
priority.

I am also waiting impatiently for a clear system, but I am not in a hurry to
approve crap just because we're tired of the old system. The new one could
be a bigger mess than the old one. If you like oxomoa, then you're missing
the understanding how unnecessarily complicated it is, and difficult  for
beginners.

OSM is not a castle on a high mountain, we have to take care of beginners'
learning curve.

> Redefining highway=bus_stop on or beside the way seams to be nearly
> impossible. Again: Have a look at the German talk page.

Why? Please, take a moment and look at German solutions from a side. Imagine
that you're not German. Do you see how unnecessarily complicated Oxomoa's
plan is? It covers very, very small details (read: they rarely occur), at
the some time forcing much more work on simple (most often occurring)
situations.

Sorry, but this is not efficient.

> Why is highway=bus_stop recommended to use _on_ the way? Because it does
> not make sense to have two tags _beside_ the way (highway=bus_stop and
> highway=platform).

Au contraire, my fellow mapper, and it this discussion was *closed*. There
are as many bus stops near the road as there are out there in the field,
because the resolution of the map is so detailed, that placing one dot on
the road is not enough. Moreover, as far as I remember, North American
system (contrary to Hafas), gives each physical stop place a different index
number.

> The platform definitely is beside the way

Where? Behind the corner?  On the left? On the right? No, this is not
detailed enough.

> My understanding for those they have put hundreds of tags on/beside the
> way. They do not want to move them (in which direction ever).

Do you have any other personal accusations towards other mappers?

--
Best regards, mit freundlichen Grüssen, meilleurs sentiments, Pozdrowienia,

Michał Borsuk