[Talk-transit] Proposed Feature - RFC - Public Transport

Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) teddy at teddy.ch
Sun Dec 12 08:02:27 GMT 2010

On 12/11/2010 03:32 PM, Michał Borsuk wrote:

>     And by the way: What physical thing is represented by railway=tram_stop?
>
> I don't deal with trams.

So you have a very limited view of Public Transport.

> Whenever I criticize Oxomoa I hear the same silly argument: "but in my
> Siedlung there's a bus that does such a complicated thing...". So what?
> Who cares?

The mapper cares. In his eyes it is not silly. It is the willing of
mapping it as correct as possible. If you do not want to care about
complicated things, this does not mean others do not want too.

> I am not sure if I know what "the old system" is. Maybe we actually
> criticize the same thing. I'd do it this way: highway:bus_stop for each
> bus stop, and then the bus stops are added to each line (relation) that
> stops there. Nothing more is needed from the point of view of even rich
> future applications in OSM. There is the info where the bus stop is,
> there's the line, if we ever want to link OSM with timetables (as I am
> planning), then we have everything we need.

I do it the same way. The differences are the details.

> Would you be so kind and withdraw from the accusation that the reason
> behind the resistance is the unwillingness to convert the existing system?

You do not deal with trams, you have written. So you have a limited view
and can not see the inconsistency in the schema. And you can not see the
need for changing the schema.

Regards
Teddych