[Talk-transit] Talk-transit Digest, Vol 14, Issue 4

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Fri Feb 12 22:29:20 GMT 2010

Dear Tiziano,

> Just I have one issue: In this way the sketch from your site (i.e.
> http://78.46.81.38/api/sketch-route?365296) is drawn thinking that all
> stops are in one direction only, while in every relation all the stops I
> put are ordered and with the tag "forward_stop" for one direction &
> "backward_stop" for the opposite one.

I've worked on that problem this evening. The problem is that there is no
clear standard whether the stop in back-direction should be ordered as the
bus passes them (e.g. relation 381001) or ordered in the same way as the
forward stops (e.g. relation 365296). That's one of the reasons why I prefer
separated relations for each direction. Anyway, I've extended the SVG creator
script to cope with that: try
http://78.46.81.38/api/sketch-route?365296&backspace
http://78.46.81.38/api/sketch-route?381001&backtime
use "backspace" when the backward stops are ordered as the forward stops
or "backtime" when the backward stops are ordered in the order the bus serves
them. The paired relations and the simple relations
http://78.46.81.38/api/sketch-route?34631&361959
http://78.46.81.38/api/sketch-route?23653
are of course still available.

> Then I'd like to know how the sketch deals with lines with two (or more)
> branches (as number 6,10,11,12,15,22 in Padova, check OPNVKarte or
> OSMTransport:
> http://3liz.fr/public/osmtransport/index.php?country=Italy&location=Padova)
>, that sometimes have even different stops in the two directions.

I don't have an idea yet. I think there are questions on both sides: how
should we represent a branch in the line diagram and how can the server offer
a comfortable way to provide all the necessary parameters?

> Is it possible to save the sketches in some image or PDF format (or SVG)?

Yes, this should be perfectly possible. For me it works in Firefox as well as
in Konqueror by choosing the respective command from the menue ("Save
file ..." in Firefox). There are also a couple of other options
* Use wget:
wget http://78.46.81.38/api/sketch-route\?34631\&361959
* Create a html link on another webiste to the URL and use "Save Link
Target ..."
* Configure your browser not to show SVG itself but rather offer to download.
You can then use the program "inkscape" to cleanup the file and to convert the
SVG to whatever you like.

Cheers,

Roland