[Talk-transit] GTFS compatibility

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jul 13 21:44:49 BST 2010

On 13 Jul 2010, at 20:22, Joe Hughes wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for digging into this issue.  I think that your goals of
> improving the precision and identifier-stability of existing open
> transport data are good ones.  The question is then: how and where can
> the OSM community apply leverage to help make this happen?

Thanks for responding Joe. I think The OSM can help by building great
physical models of the fixed infrastructure. The most useful bit
required from the Transit Agency is then a good fixed ID to associate
schedules to the platforms/Stop Points that they are referring to. If
they don't provide a good ID then some technical matching might be
possible using the name and the lat/long of the stop as a signature
for the stop.

> At the end of the day, the people that you want to influence are the
> people that create and maintain the data on the agency side.  In many
> cases, when they create their exports, they're looking for the minimal
> transformation that they can make between their existing databases and
> the export format, such that the data looks decent in consuming
> applications.

Agreed. We will mention this to agencies when we talk to them. Clearly
better information does create a better experience though.

> Given this, I'd posit that you'd have a much greater effect on data
> exporting practices by building an OSM-based transport renderer that
> makes a bad-looking rendering when the input data has the
> characteristics you mentioned (i.e. stops on opposite sides of the
> street represented by a single logical stop in the data).  I suspect
> that this would be much more meaningful to agency folks than an
> abstract recommendation in a spec document.  Given the success of
> ITO's visualizations, I expect that you have a deep understanding of
> how well the visual approach can work.

Thanks! We are already able to use such data where it exists - for
example on this map which uses the bearing and street name in NaPTAN
to snap stops to the correct roads:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterito/2102416239/sizes/o/in/pool-559674@N22/

We are creating some tools to visualise GTFS content on an OSM
background which we hope will be useful. More details in soon.

> As for the potential new fields you mentioned, I recommend proposing
> them to the community on the gtfs-changes list; some of the things
> you've mentioned are already under discussion, and merely lack willing
> participants for an end-to-end test of the the features to verify that
> they work as intended when used with real data.

Fixed Stop IDs for linking to schedules are the only things that the
OSM community can't do for themselves - possibly we start by working
on data providers to supply these using the current standard in the
stop_id field. When we have some examples in use we can push for more
content. Any suggestions of places that use good permanent IDs?

I signed off from gtfs-changes some time ago, possibly you could
forward my emails to the list if that would help? Happy to get
involved if that would be productive, do let me know.

> Either way, I hope that a desire for tidier data won't get in the way
> of OSM making the most of the wealth of transport data that's already
> been made available to the public.

Agreed. Finding places with good GTFS stops data and then importing it
in OSM would be a great start.

Regards,

Peter