[Talk-transit] totally abandoned rails

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Wed Jul 28 11:52:33 BST 2010

We should probably take this discussion offlist, but my spare time is valuable and far too scarce, and I don’t want to spend it visiting websites just to see if there have been any new posts.

I don’t believe I can configure the osm forums to email me notifications (or better still the content) for each post to the forum. If I can subscribe to certain topics, as you can on some forums, then I don’t believe that I can reply via email and would have to visit the forums to reply. The now discontinued MSN Groups did support emailing posts to members and coped with replies via email (as I note do the emailed Facebook notifications these days), so it is possible to have forums that are friendly to email users.

Having said that I’ve found something email related under privacy options on the OSM Forums so may give them another try, but even then it looks like you subscribe to topics rather than an individual forum, so won’t know about any new topics without visiting the site and browsing the new posts since last visit (I have 128 pages of new posts since my last visit on 17th September 2009).

I’d even be happy with an RSS feed of new posts to any forum; anything which means I don’t have to visit the forum just in case there are any new posts/topics.

So, it isn’t all web forums I’m against. Just those where I have to visit them to read and/or post.

Ed