[Talk-transit] totally abandoned rails

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 31 17:53:00 BST 2010

On Saturday 31 July 2010 16:18:10 Heiko Jacobs wrote:
> > I'm interested in railways too, so I find that interesting. Railways are
> > relative sparse, so it won't clutter the map much.
>
> ... and with the suitable tag it won't clutter the rendered slippy map

It's not the rendered maps that become harder to use. It is the working maps
in the editors it is about. Try to imagine working with three overlapping
street patterns, where part of the streets is the same in two or three time
periods.

> For such real ancient things:
> If they don't dig, they don't have coordinates ;-)

You don't have to dig. Medieval maps are certainly out of copyright.

You and I are both interested in railroads. If we are "allowed" to map those
railroads were no traces are visible anymore, then other people would
be "allowed" to map other things that are not there.

> So a combination of parts with
> disused, abandoned and the new tag will produce the whole network
> for later special maps.

The question is however: Does the data for those special maps belong in the
database with data about how the world looks on the ground right now.

As long as the tools can't cope with the time dimension, a lot of people will
keep thinking it doesn't.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus