[Talk-transit] [Talk-GB] NaPTAN - Time for the rest?

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Mar 16 17:21:17 GMT 2010

On 16 March 2010 17:00, Thomas Wood <grand.edgemaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> We'd all prefer it if it'd be handled locally, but there just doesn't
> seem to be much interest in improving the data en-mass, merely in the
> piecewise way that most people have mapped up until now.

I may be wrong about this, but I'm not aware that a "NAPTAN clean-up" has
been particularly promoted in the way that the TIGER cleanups were (are?).

I recall a tool developed for the west midlands showing the state of the
imported data, but can that be used nationwide?

The cycle map and regular chatter have seen coverage blossom. Obviously bus
stops aren't as interesting to fellow OSM nutters as cycle routes; and the
cycle map was an "early mover" and got onto the front page of the main web
site. But can't we make a bit more of an effort to push this across the GB
community?

After cars and walking, public transport is the most used means of getting
around ths country so I'd say it should be a fairly high priority to get
that data right.

Best wishes,
Tom