[Talk-transit] [Talk-GB] NaPTAN - Time for the rest?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 17:46:42 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> The cycle map and regular chatter have seen coverage blossom. Obviously bus
> stops aren't as interesting to fellow OSM nutters as cycle routes; and the
> cycle map was an "early mover" and got onto the front page of the main web
> site. But can't we make a bit more of an effort to push this across the GB
> community?

:-) I sallied forth on this issue at WhereCampEU - topics of how to
improve the public transit data in OSM came up a surprising number of
times on Saturday.

Step One: Register a better domain name for people who can't remember
how to type the double-dots in http://www.öpnvkarte.de/ . Et voila,
now we have http://openbusmap.org thanks to Shaun.
Step Two: Have a (UK?) public transport hack-weekend. Peter Miller
offered to sponsor this at said WhereCampEU, so that just needs
organising.
Step Three: Good editor support. Potlatch2 already supports things
like NAPTAN cardinal compass directions. There's more to do on that
front...

That's a start, and IMHO doing what the cyclemap did (i.e. provide a
compelling end-use) does as much as YAOSMIT (that's Yet Another OSM
Inspection Tool). The tools have their place, but only for the most
hard-core contributors. I see contributors as progressing through the
following stages, where only a small proportion ever make it to the
next stage:

1) Not interested or aware of the subject in question
2) Liking an end-use of the subject (e.g. opencyclemap.org, openbusmap.org)
3) Fiddling with the data in places that's important to them
4) Getting interested in wider QA of the data using inspection tools

I think we need to support 2 and 3 to get a much larger number of
people involved in buses etc in the UK.

Cheers,
Andy