[Talk-transit] New versions of NaPTAN now publicly available under free license?

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Mon Mar 22 12:19:46 GMT 2010

Hi,

I've not posted on this list before, but I wanted to check people here
were aware that NaPTAN is now available via data.gov.uk (I heard about
this via http://twitter.com/traveline).  New versions are supposed to
become available quarterly.

There are references to the DfT's Terms of Use, but data.gov.uk quite
clearly states the license as "UK Crown Copyright with data.gov.uk
rights".  data.gov.uk doesn't seem to give a comprehensive,
legally-worded license agreement but it does include statements
resembling the CC-BY license summary.

Would this be an acceptable data source for future OSM import/update
efforts?  Is this more up-to-date than the dump provided by ITO?  The
root node's ModificationDateTime attribute is "2010-03-17T10:52:24" so
I'd imagine so.

I don't know how a regular OSM user could fulfil the attribution
requirement though, so maybe any imports of this would have to be
handled specially, just as they currently are.  (Where is the current
attribution of copyright for the dump provided by ITO, by the way?)

Thanks.

Steven Chamberlain
steven at pyro.eu.org