[Talk-transit] GTFS from OSM data?

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Aug 26 14:05:58 BST 2011

I have looked at Go-Sync (Great tool!) and have some questions about
public transport and GTFS.   I am starting from perhaps the reverse of
normal case: any agency data on routes and stops was way out of date and
very incomplete.   The system is small and well within the scope of
being surveyed from scratch and entered into OSM. It appears that
Go-Sync is focused on stop synchronization, given the routes in
routes.txt+trips.txt+shapes.txt .

   1.  Are there any tools to create routes.txt + trips.txt + shapes.txt
from OSM public transport route relations?   If not, would such a tool
be within the scope to add to Go-Sync, or should this just be a separate
tool?

   2.  For bus routes, is there any value to adding
public_transport=stop_position to the OSM data, in addition to
highway=bus_stop?