[Talk-transit] Summary of Public Transport Proposal Criticism -> a real example from Zürich

Michał Borsuk michal.borsuk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:04:35 GMT 2011

On 01/27/2011 07:20 AM, Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 08:40 PM, Michał Borsuk wrote:
>
> The bus service number 10 in Wintherthur is the most simple case you can
> have. Absolutely no exceptions. See timetables of the two terminal
> stations:

So there is yet another "line 10" mixed at the same index. Interesting
approach taken at HaCon, indeed.

>> Line 10 Zürich:
>> line# relation# # of runs
>> 10 120 56
>> 10 121 12
>> 10 122 12
>> 10 123 1
>> 10 124 50
>> 10 125 6
>> 10 126 1
>
> Interesting!

Indeed. How do you imagine to build routing using present, or proposed,
data structures?

 > And where do they start and end?

That's beyond my point, which was to show that "complication of data
structures in OSM is unnecessary, because even at the level you are
proposing, adding routing information won't be possible".

> And again: Why can't you accept, that others want to map something more
> in detail then you do?

I don't ever remember expressing how I would like to map, because I am
not speaking about my personal preferences (unlike many people here),
but about what in my opinion is good for the OSM and its future.

I do not understand why so many people want to turn OSM into their
personal playground, and do not think about new users, for whom
"learning curve" is important.

Let's just get down to differences, I say your proposal is too
difficult. I've already spoken well about its data integrity, but new
users don't care about it. We need something that is as good as yours in
data integrity, and as easy to grasp as my proposals.

> Teddych

LMB