[Talk-transit] Summary of Public Transport Proposal Criticism -> a real example from Zürich

Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) teddy at teddy.ch
Wed Feb 2 14:14:36 GMT 2011

On 02.02.2011 13:04, Michał Borsuk wrote:
> Let's just get down to differences, I say your proposal is too
> difficult. I've already spoken well about its data integrity, but new
> users don't care about it. We need something that is as good as yours in
> data integrity, and as easy to grasp as my proposals.

Yours is good for beginners. And yours is also good for a white area mapper.

Advanced mappers are not happy with it. In an "every dog shit" area a
mapper wants to map with a higher resolution then highway=bus_stop can
provide. And an "every dog shit" mapper is possibly interested in
mapping detailed geo-based meta information like routes.

I tried to reduce my proposal to allow simpler cases. stop_area_group
has been completely removed. A lot is now optional (stop_position,
platform, stop_area, route_master). So it should be possible for
beginners to learn step-by-step what they want/need. And one relation
per direction is easier to explain then forward/backward roles.

And I do not think we (mappers) can replace an existing public transport
routing solution like hafas (too complex and too dynamic). The maximum
possible in my opinion is to import this data into OSM. But with a
single route relation solution I do not see such a solution.

Teddych