[Talk-transit] Summary of Public Transport Proposal Criticism -> a real example from Zürich

Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) teddy at teddy.ch
Thu Feb 3 05:40:20 GMT 2011

On 02/03/2011 12:40 AM, Richard Mann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Michael von Glasow
> <michael at vonglasow.com>  wrote:
>> Hence, in most cases the extra node on the way is what I call courtesy
>> tagging - it makes things easier for the renderer (less preprocessing) but
>> can be automated. I would tend towards manual tagging only in those cases in
>> which heuristics are likely to produce incorrect or unpredictable results
>> (e.g. bus stop in the middle between two carriageways).
>
> I agree - it's courtesy tagging, but since the node is already there,
> it seems fairly harmless to tag it with something if/when people move
> railway=tram_stop to a node beside the way. It doesn't introduce
> complexity in the way that relations do.

There is already a tag for this: public_transport=stop_position. Used
27'000 times in OSM. And you are right, in many (but not all) cases it
is courtesy tagging. Therefore I have changed it in my proposal to optional.

> I'm quite happy if people want to leave tram_stop on the track for the
> moment. It's not ideal in terms of pedestrian routing, but that can
> wait.

I do not think it is a good idea to redefine thousands of used
railway=tram_stop.

Teddych