[Talk-transit] Summary of Public Transport Proposal Criticism -> a real example from Zürich

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 11:04:34 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) <teddy at teddy.ch> wrote:
> I do not think it is a good idea to redefine thousands of used
> railway=tram_stop.

The problem is that railway=tram_stop is used to mean a number of
different things, which have different geo-locations when you start
mapping in more detail. You are emphasising one particular meaning
(the stop area centroid), and other people emphasise another meaning
(an indicator of the boarding location). We can't know which is
dominant.

To ensure basic compatibility, I suggest all schemes should use nodes
tagged railway=tram_stop, and make them ordered members of the route
relation with role=stop (or maybe forward_stop/backward_stop). I don't
think we need to be prescriptive about where those nodes are placed,
just tell people there are two basic options (on track or either side
of the track). I think the "simplified" scheme probably _recommends_
these nodes should in due course be beside the track, and possibly on
platforms, and that something else (railway=tram_station) should go on
the centroid as a courtesy tag.

Teddy - you are perfectly entitled to use a more-elaborate scheme, and
perhaps lots of other people will use it. Tagwatch:

http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Europe/En/relationstats_route.html

has about 350,000 nodes as members of route relations, and 12,000 (ie
3%) with role=platform

Richard