[Talk-transit] Summary of Public Transport Proposal Criticism -> a real example from Zürich

Michael von Glasow michael at vonglasow.com
Sat Feb 5 00:32:29 GMT 2011

On 02/04/2011 12:09 PM, Richard Mann wrote:
> I've been attempting to order a relation using P2 (I don't recommend
> trying it yourself yet - the process needs streamlining). I managed to
> sort the nodes in a two-directions-with-loops relation:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/85299
>
> and got a reasonable line-diagram, once I'd added forward_stop and
> backward_stop:
if I may just comment on the relation: I would start and end at the
terminus (which seems to be The Oval) - that way the relation represents
the longest way a passenger can travel (assuming services don't normally
end at some point in the loop), which I think is most intuitive. I would
also use "stop" rather than "forward_stop" and "backward_stop" for the
roles since the outward and return directions of a spoon route are
somewhat hard to tell apart. (Unless one stop in the loop is formally
designated as the terminus where services routinely end.)
> http://78.46.81.38/api/sketch-route?85299
>
> I think this confirms that line diagrams will work fine with stops
> beside the way.
In fact - as I understand it, the tool ignores ways completely and just
examines stop members and their order. As far as I know, retrieving the
stops of a line on openbusmap works the same way.

Michael